The Marching Redcoats are noted for having 67 consecutive years of Straight Superior Ratings at Marching MPA. The band also participates in local parades. They made their international performance appearance at the:
London New Year’s Day Parade, 2014
The Leon Band marched in the 2014 London New Year’s Day Parade as well as played in Cadogan Hall, home of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Leon High School Symphonic Band is well known around the District and State for having outstanding musical performances. Students involved in this ensemble perform at the highest level as individuals as well. Additionally, the Symphonic Band has achieved numerous state and national achievements, such as:
2000 Sudler Flag of Distinction:
This international award is given by the John Philip Sousa foundation. It is to honor the most outstanding band programs in the world, who have demonstrated extremely high standards of excellence in concert activities over a period of several years.
National Recognition and Performances:
The Leon High School Band has been invited to perform for these prestigious international events and conventions:
- National Band and Orchestra Festival – Carnegie Hall, New York
- College Band Directors’ National Association / National Band Association
- Southeastern United States Honor Band and Clinic, Troy, Alabama
- Mid-East Instrumental Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- New York State Band Directors Association Annual Symposium
- Festival of Winds at the University of South Florida
- Florida Music Educators Association
- All-South Music Institute, Mississippi.
- Atlanta International Band and Orchestra Conference
- Midwest International Band and Orchestra Clinic-This is the largest convention of band and orchestra directors in the world. A performance of this nature is one of the most prestigious honors that a band can receive. The Leon High School Band has performed at Midwest twice-the symphonic band in 1997, and chamber ensembles in 1998.